Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Won a long game

After last weeks shock loss I was paired against another ~1600 rated guy. I didn't learn anything from my loss (deep in my mind I didn't want to...) and played the game blitzing all the moves out. I The game was pretty easy, he played well and position was about equal (although dumb Fritz tries to claim he had already some advantage) until at move 20 he unfortunately missed simple trap and lost a bishop. After that it was of course just waiting for resignation.

One nice thing when playing with increments (1h + 30sec/move) is that you can have more time at the end of the game than at the beginning. Last time (the game I lost) I had about 55 mins time left when I resigned, now I had 1h 7 minutes when he resigned. In next game my goal is to make it over 1h 10 mins :D

Anyway...before the next round I'll have important weekend tournament. Last time I played in national weekend tournament was exactly year ago (2006 edition of the same tournament). And before that the previous one was the 2005 edition, and before that the 2004 edition. And three years ago I finished 8th, two years ago I was 3rd and last year I was 2nd. So...only one logical way to continue...1st place! Not too easy task thou, because in previous three years the winner has always been +2400 rated IM. And I have these twisted tendencies to lose against 1600 rateds and playing blitz-mode permanently turned on.

2 comments:

wormwood said...

well done. but I'm sure you do realize you're giving hundreds of points from your playing strength by blitzing those moves?

I'm always amazed how incredibly slow most of the masters play, even when there doesn't seem to be anything to calculate. I get bored and lose focus pretty quick, and always a lot faster than they do. and still, it's obvious they run the variations faster, deeper and more accurate. what the hell are they doing all that time? are they running through some rigorous structured thought process on every move, just to push their games that little bit further?

Jusah said...

in fact my blitz rating is 50 point higher, so actually I am gaining strength when blitzing :P

I think masters play bit more seriously than rest of us, thus making absolutely sure their moves can not be refuted. They dont like to gamble like I do. They rely on calculation more than on intuition. That takes time.