Saturday, April 21, 2007

Phew...2/3 so far.

Mikkeli's open five-round weekend tournament started today. After three rounds (G/90mins) I have 2 wins and 1 loss, average rating of opponents being 1976. So not that bad, although my goal (5/5 score) can not be achieved anymore, I am still very pleased I have 2 points.

What to comes to the games, well...they were terrible. Get this: In all three games I was either in lot worse position or in dead lost position after 10-15 moves. In first game I played too creatively (out of book) . My opponent had an wonderful idea, double fianchetto, which worked pretty well. The two bishops made my position almost to collapse right after the opening. Had he offered draw, I would have took it immediately. Then something odd happened, despite his great position he couldnt find a good plan and started to drift. I took full advantage of couple inaccurate moves he made, and soon it was drawish endgame. Luckily we both were in serious time trouble. Althought I had actually less time (~2 mins to his 4mins), I knew I could handle the situation better than he would (here we see how playing bullet improves your long chess too). I did, he blundered...and I won.

Second game, perhaps the worst I've ever played OTB, I played with white. After 15 moves I was already dead meat. I think I'll never understand how I can lose so fast without making any visible blunders. Well, the game still lasted another 20 moves. Then I resigned.

Third game. I was frustrated, and wanted to finish my opponent off quickly. Bad idea. Opening wasnt really a success for me, in fact I just barely survived. Then he gave me time to finish my development. After 20 moves I had decent position, which again looked like a draw. Well, he tried bit too hard and I defended well, and eventually we moved to an endgame where material was even but his only knight was trapped in the h-file. So...being practically knight up in material, I managed to "bust in " with my rook and when he finally got his knight out of h-file, it was already too late.

So...phew. I could very well have 0/3 score right now, but luckily I am lucky man, who knows how to deal with inferior positions.

No comments: