Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Weeee...(part II)

Three days ago was my city's open championship tournament being held. As a reigning champ I felt obligated to participate. This year tournament was pretty poor in every ways (only 4 participants and average rating well under 1800).

Well I won the tournament pretty easily (with "mind-blowing" 2.5/3 score lol). My games are not worth of detailed analysis, but here is an interesting position from my second round game against 1500-rated player:


I was black here and its my move. White just played g6. I have 52 minutes time left, white has about 9 minutes. Now you might ask; what is that special in this position? You are right, there is nothing special here. After black plays Rb1 (or Ke7 or Ke8 or Rb6 or even Rh3+) its over. Of course I knew they all win. And I knew I cant play anything else, like a4 or Rb2 because after g7 white promotes.

Yet I played a4 (explanation: I was not paying attention coz I was kibitzing other game at the same time + total mental blackout). The thing is that immediately after I touched a-pawn I knew its over. Huge deja vu feeling went through me; just seconds earlier I was thinking that I can't play a4, and seconds later I forgot it totally and played it.

Okay, after g7 its whites win. But amazingly he didnt win, because I defended well (=well enough to force position where 1500-player in time trouble couldn't find a way to finish me off).

Other results from past weeks: won round-4 and round-5 games in 1h+30sec-tournament.
Won May's open blitz tournament with 9/9 score. So I think right now I am in good upswing. I hope that next downswing does not start before autumn.

No comments: