Monday, January 29, 2007

Getting worse

Strange things happen to me. Although I had about 6 months period in last autumn when I practically played no chess whatsoever, I managed to make a stunning comeback couple weeks ago. I noticed that I hadn't got tactically worse almost at all, and also my blitz was in good form. But maybe it was just an illusion. Or maybe it was something what has happened before; "fresh" attitude (thanks to 6 months I was in military) towards chess might have improved my game for awhile. But not for too long; all too sudden I was again playing hundreds of bullet games on playchess. And I started to get bored.

Suddenly I started drawing games. Now I have drew three long games in a row against weaker players. In first game I was struggling with the black pieces, and only barely managed to draw. In second game, I outplayed my opponent in every ways, until I missed forced 3-moves-mate and thanks to that ended up with very dangerous position. Ultimately, I defended very well and drew the game. Third one, which ended three hours ago, was an opening catastrophe for me. I messed up my opening, and my opponent ( black) got great attacking chances with his bishop pair. I was surely losing the game, but again, I defended well, and in the end I managed to trade down material so that although he had two pawns more, he had no way to break through thanks to opposite coloured bishops.

So what have I learnt? That nowadays I only play well when I am in troubles.

1 comment:

wormwood said...

you can't win them all, sometimes the odds just are against you.